- Wait to pack your cleaning supplies (broom, dust cloth, mop, etc.) until you’ve done your last cleanup—especially if you have a security deposit.
- Don’t leave the hardware to your furniture at your old place. When you take something apart, put all the little parts and screws in a bag. Then tape the bag to the piece, so you won’t have to track down the parts.
- Dispose of any items that moving companies are not allowed to transport by law. These items include gasoline, bottled gases, and other flammables, ammunition, and explosives.
- Have an essentials grab bag. Have your toothbrush, chargers, basically the essentials you might need for the next 72 hours.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Have a wardrobe box available the morning of the move. The last things you’ll pack will be the bed linens, comforters, and pillows you sleep with. Put these items in the wardrobe box, so they’ll be easy to find when you’re ready to collapse after a day of moving.
- Write OPEN FIRST on boxes of essential items and DO NOT MOVE on boxes you’re not planning to take with you!
- Always stack dishes upwards when packing, and avoid breakage by using custom-designed boxes. It’s also a good idea to avoid wrapping china in newsprint; the ink can stain your dishes.
- Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible—children’s health records, passports, family records, insurance information, and photo albums.
Standard moving boxes
1.5 cubic foot ( Small ) moving box: best used for small heavy objects like books, records, cans, jars of food, utensils, flatware, shoes, etc.
3.0 cubic foot ( Medium) moving box: Referred to as the lamp or lampshade box; frequently used interchangeably with the 1.5 cubic foot box.
4.0 cubic foot ( Dish Barrel ) moving box: Also called call dish box; it’s the strongest box available; pack fragile, breakable items such as china; usually used for kitchen items.
4.5 cubic foot ( Large ) moving box: As the box gets larger, use for lighter objects such as pillows, bedding, and stuffed animals.
6.0 cubic foot ( Ex-Large ) moving box: Use for light objects; if you pack heavy items in this box it will be difficult to move.
Picture or mirror moving box: Multiple piece boxes can be adjusted to fit any size glass, marble or stone, mirror, artwork, or framed picture
24″ Wardrobe with Bar: Great for dresses, suits or long jackets.
18″ Wardrobe with Bar: Great for shirts, blouses, sports coats and pants.
Packing paper/plain newsprint : Used to wrap everyday items to prevent scratching; when crunched up it can be used as cushioning. 5, 10 and 25, pound options
Paper pads prevent nicks and scratches and keep belongings clean and secure. Ideal for any wood or fragile furniture, pictures, and mirrors. Use for protecting furniture in storage, loading/Unloading rental trucks. Includes 3-ply 48 x 72 cushioned pads Multipurpose.
Packing tape: 2.0 x 55 yard
Permanent marker: Used to label boxes with contents